Monday, July 29, 2024

scenes from the weekend

 


Summer, which I was dreading the last time I posted, is almost over! Just 2 more weeks until the little darlings are back in the classroom during the day and I have the house back to myself; I can hardly wait.

It actually hasn't been that bad, the kids are quiet during the day while I'm working, but I don't enjoy going into the kitchen to get a meal for myself (the kids are self feeders) and having them come bopping in to see what I'm doing. I feel like I'm always on display.

We have done a couple of fun things this summer and I will update on all of that later but I just had to pop in and talk about this past weekend.

We were supposed to meet up with my sister for a vintage show in Lakeland but she had to cancel. I was totally bummed about that to the point of crying a little and then I had a brilliant idea.

This is the Lakeside Inn in Mount Dora, about 50 miles from our house. This has been a very special place to me over the years and Taz and I loved it. I haven't been back since 2020 and I've missed it and the town. Part of me thought it wasn't fair to take Chris to a place I visited so many times with Taz including Christmas and our last anniversary but the other part of me thought it was the perfect place to make new memories with Chris.

There is a boat tour that leaves from the dock there and they had advertised on Facebook that the town of Mount Dora was having a special "end of summer" fireworks display on Saturday so they were offering a special fireworks cruise at 9pm. When I first saw the post I thought "oh, too bad, we won't be able to go because we'll be hanging out with Lisa" so when Lisa canceled I decided to revisit the idea of the boat trip.

That led to me checking to see if the inn had any cheap-ish rooms for Saturday and, miracle of miracles, they did. That led to me making a reservation and then planning a fabulous getaway weekend for the two of us.









Words can't even express how perfect this weekend was. We made so many happy memories - we swam, we ate, we cruised. It was fun and peaceful and full of adventure all at the same time. We shopped the farmers market on our way out of town on Sunday and picked up some fun sauces we can use in cooking so that the memories will last even longer.

It's been a long summer and this was just what I needed to recharge those batteries. I hope it's just the first of many fun weekends up in Mount Dora.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!