Tuesday, August 2, 2022

groomzilla

 


So last week we went under 3 months until the wedding and over the weekend we started really focusing on wedding details and, let me tell you, it's already going a little rough because Christopher has his own ideas about the wedding and they are not the same as my ideas.

How dare he? LOL It's very inconvenient to have a groom with opinions.

The first thing we did was go to Publix to look at cakes. Really we were going to look at a specific cake that I love and had already picked out in my head.

I love everything about this cake. The black and white swirls hint at our Halloween/Nightmare Before Christmas theme without hitting everyone over the head with it. It looks elegant to me, not cartoonish. And I swoon over the cupcakes! They are different than your run of the mill 4 tier wedding cake but I also love that there's a small cake on top so that we can do the whole cutting the cake tradition and also have the top tier to freeze and keep for our 1st anniversary.

It's perfect, right?


Christopher actually started looking through the cake book (why, why, why? we already have the perfect cake, no need to look at more) and stopped at this picture because he loved the idea of the bride and groom cakes.

This is so not how this was supposed to go. He was supposed to see the picture of my black and white swirly cake and say "oh my gosh, that's perfect!" not go looking for something else. Did he not see how I wasn't browsing through the cake book but went straight to one picture? Didn't he get the major HINT when I said I wanted to go to Publix to show him the CAKE I'D PICKED OUT? Sheesh.

So then I said I wanted to look at their deli platters for reception food and he looked at me like I had grown an extra head. Apparently he had other ideas but when I asked what they were he said he hadn't thought that far ahead. So I'm going to suggest to all our wedding guests that they eat before they come. 

That's a joke but it's actually not a bad idea because my car broke down last week and it's costing $800 to fix so there goes the wedding food fund.

So we got back home and I show him 2 pictures of potential labels for the wedding favors (his niece is making beautiful decorated sugar cookies) and ask him which one he prefers. Of course he picks the one I didn't like as much and that's pretty much when I lost it and said I wasn't happy with where we were having the wedding ceremony so it was really bumming me out that he couldn't even let me have these little details. He was surprised because he thought I actually wanted to hear his opinion which, of course, I did...I just wanted him to have the same opinion as me. LOL

This led to a much larger and more important discussion about the ceremony location and how I really wasn't happy about it being at our house or the direction he wanted it to go in, etc. and we finally decided that we're going to move the ceremony back to our original location (an hour away) where we've already paid and just have family (and a couple of very close friends) there and then extend an open invitation to anybody that wants to come to the Halloween party/reception that evening. This makes me much happier and more comfortable (I'd really rather prefer to just elope with us and the kids, I never wanted a big event and I hate the idea of a lot of people staring at me) and he still gets to invite all his work friends and be social. I will have my family at the party along with a couple of close friends that I can surround myself with if it gets a little overwhelming to have so many people around. That sounds kind of awful and I'm not really that bad but sometimes being an introvert means you have to develop ways to take care of yourself. My sister is my best friend and biggest cheerleader and I know she will have my back during the whole wedding weekend. She's the Thelma to my Louise so I know if I turn to her and ask if she wants to go with me to "get ice" in my wedding dress, she'll yell "hell yeah!" and she'll get me out of there to get a little much needed peace and quiet.

I would like to note that at no time did our discussion turn into an argument. I love the fact that in the 2+ years we've been together, he has never gotten mad at me and never, ever, ever yelled. I'm sure he's been annoyed from time to time but he really does just want to make me happy so we find a way to work it out. It's refreshing and brings me such peace.

So this is it, no more changes. I hand delivered my first ceremony invitation to my boss/good friend at work so there will be no more changing plans. The next invitations to the ceremony go out in the mail later this week.

So what do I need to do next?

I already have all the flowers and I got those cheap but I love them - beautiful bouquets for my stepdaughters and my sister...and me! We have selected the music for the ceremony and I just have to email those music links to the ceremony site.

I have selected the clothes for the kids and Chris, just have to get some money together to buy them by September. I have waited to order the kids' clothes until the real last minute because I don't want to deal with any last minute growth spurts. It's just a polo shirt for James and a pretty dress for Cadence that compliments the one my sister is wearing. Chris is going casual too with a polo shirt and dress pants. Originally we talked about a suit and tie but that's not really him and I want him to be comfortable so we have to find the softest polo shirt we can. His two older children are supposed to be in the wedding party but it's been a rough year and I'm not even sure they're going to come and that makes me sad because I know Chris really wants them there and so do I. They can wear whatever they want, I don't need the whole matchy, matchy thing.

I'm just going to hold off on food until October and see if there is money in the budget to order anything. Same with the cake. I guess the next biggest thing is to wait until the stores put out their Halloween decorations and then we can start to get a few things for the house. I expect to spend a lot of time at Dollar Tree! I have seen some really cute ideas for food platters using plastic skeletons.

So I guess there's not that much more to do. My dress alterations should be done by the middle/end of September and I can't wait to get it back. The rest of my ensemble is ready to go, I'm a fairly low maintenance bride.

Oh, I ordered some fake hair to see if I can do something on my own because I can't afford to get my hair done that day. It's supposed to be delivered today, I can't wait to see if it works or if it sends me into uncontrollable laughter. It's just a long curly ponytail which would be added to my regular ponytail - a little extra oomph. 

I've already paid for the makeup person in Orlando and thought I wouldn't get to use them when we were doing everything at the house but now that that's changed, I'm considering getting a room up in Orlando the night before (because Chris doesn't want to see me at all on that day) and then I could have the makeup person come to the room and make me pretty. I really do want to be pretty especially since we're getting professional pictures with our ceremony package.

I think I'll go back to not thinking about the wedding for a little while.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!