Friday, August 8, 2014

cottage cheese wars

And the cottage cheese saga continues...

After ending up with a giant bowl of nothing, I was kind of ready to call it a day but the Man of the Place had other ideas. He got interested in the whole process and wanted to try again. He thought maybe I hadn't let it sit long enough in the clabbering process. So he tried again with a smaller amount and let it sit and sour for 2 days.

Then he heated it up gradually in the double boiler. And nothing happened yet again.

So then he heated it up non-gradually, letting the water boil and boil. And still nothing happened.

Then he got really determined and stuck the glass bowl of sour milk in the microwave...just like Ma Ingalls would have done.


 I present you with cottage cheese! Or at least a reasonable facsimile. It wasn't exactly like the kind you buy in the store, the curds were not as defined but the taste was way better. We added in a little salt and cream (as per the instructions in the recipe) and it was delicious.

It was also a lot of work and time for a very little amount of cheese. I don't anticipate doing it again, at least not with that recipe.

But it was fun...kind of...not really. It definitely was an experience though. I don't think I am cut out for pioneer life. LOL!

1 comment:

  1. The clabbering process...wow, that alone sounds overwhelming! LOL at the microwave comment! Bless you for trying! I tried to make a cake from scratch once and will never, even attempt it again...it was like a brick.

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!