Saturday, August 23, 2014

the kitchen project - one year later

A year ago I came up with this great idea. Wouldn't it be fun to spend days and days, including a holiday weekend, sanding and painting our kitchen cabinet doors? Ok, I never really thought it would be fun but I was so tired of looking at our VERY orange kitchen.






The only thing I liked about the kitchen was the pink tiled countertop but I kinda hated the way the pink tiles clashed with the orange that ran rampant everywhere else.

So we sanded and painted and installed new hardware. I may have complained one or two tiny little times during the process but I knew we were creating something wonderful even after the first day.



And now, even after a whole year has passed, I still get a goofy grin on my face when I walk into my little cottage kitchen. It's still absurdly small with almost no counterspace but it's bright and light and cozy and cute. Best of all, what was once just a vision in my head is now a reality.

6 comments:

  1. For a little kitchen you seem to have lots of storage space. And it looks so retro. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have no complaints about the storage. There's even a pantry on the opposite wall. And it's definitely retro. The whole house hasn't been updated since it was built in the 50s...authentic retro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kitchen is so tiny, too! You've done a great job adding some style to yours! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your kitchen and love the fact that you kept that beautiful pink tile! I have a huge aversion to granite, never cared for it so I'm always grateful to see kitchens that still retain some charm:) We're renters, I've never owned my own home but hopefully we'll be buying something within the next couple of years and personalizing my kitchen is going to be number one on my list:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're renters in this house too although since it's a family home we thought that it would be passed on to us which is why we felt it was ok to paint the kitchen. We have since learned that we were very mistaken in this assumption so this was our first and last project. I love the pink tile (my husband very much doesn't love it) and will miss it when we have to move from here. I am afraid we might even have to paint the kitchen back to its original color when we leave but it was worth it to have it the way we like it for a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should we try to spot the hidden Mickey?

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!