Monday, August 19, 2013

Saving the best for last



Yesterday was not the most awesome day I’ve ever had. Oh sure, I was able to identify at least 3 moments, maybe more, but they all fell into a category I like to call “awesome-lite” revolving around food and the brief appearance of the sun. Our original plans didn't quite work out and we were spending the day at home. Quite frankly, I was rather bored by the afternoon, so bored that somehow cleaning up the clutter on my bathroom floor started to look like a good way to spend some time. Yeah, that’s how bored I was.

Actually, it was rather nice to clean up the assorted magazines and crap that accumulated over the weeks days. I even took the time to straighten out a couple of bathroom rugs that had ended up on top of each other, moving the purple one off of the green one and over to its rightful place in front of the sink.

After such an eventful day, it was finally time for bed…oh wait, I need to put in a little backstory here.

3 years ago Mr. French and I took an awesome trip (really, really awesome) to South Dakota. Of course we visited the Laura Ingalls stuff in DeSmet but then we drove west through the Badlands out to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore. It was his first visit and I hadn’t been since I was a kid so it was really like seeing it for the first time.

While there I got a special gift as a souvenir of the trip. I love Black Hills Gold especially their Dakota Rose designs so when I saw these earrings, I had to have them. I have 2 holes in each ear so I’ve worn these earrings non-stop since I got them in August of 2010.


Until last week.

One day last week, finally back at home after a busy afternoon of running around Carmel at car events and work, I reached up to my right ear and discovered that one of my beloved earrings was missing. Of course I searched everywhere I’d just been in the house but couldn’t turn up the missing earring so I assumed I’d lost it while running around and that it would be gone forever. I was pretty bummed about it even though at least I still had the one.

Ok, back to my original story.

Last night I was getting ready for bed, washing my face in the bathroom and, weirdo that I am, enjoying the bareness of my floor now that it was devoid of all the magazines and books (I like to read when I’m in there, what can I say?) when I looked down at a sparkly object on the green rug…remember, the one that had been buried under the purple rug?

My heart caught in my throat…could it be? I hardly dared to hope but yes, it was my earring! It must have come out when I was towel drying my hair earlier in the week and I just hadn’t noticed. My long, lost, beloved earring had returned to the fold.

One truly awesome moment right at the end of an ordinary day.

Smile

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found your earring! Listen to this - I LOVE Black Hills Gold too! It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!