Sunday, February 17, 2019

photography is my life

Image may contain: camera 

 Mr. T was a photographer. It truly was his passion. He even made a living at it for a year when we decided to take a break from Silicon Valley and try living in Florida. 

That was also where he discovered that, not being much of a people person, photographing weddings probably wasn't going to be his thing. He was MUCH better at food photography. He was also much better at technology so we went back to Silicon Valley and photography became a much loved hobby for him.

He always wanted me to get into photography with him but I never did, much to my regret now. We had all these dreams about getting an RV when we retired and roaming the country searching for interesting people and stories and food. I would write about it and he would take the pictures. When he did take pictures of people, he was very good at capturing emotions, telling their stories with just one perfect picture.

It would have been awesome.

So it hurt me to see his camera sitting on the shelf just gathering dust and I decided to do something about that.

Today I attended a "cameras for dummies" course at a local store. No, that wasn't the official title but that was certainly how I came into it. Luckily I wasn't the only one. This course promised to tell us what to do with all the buttons on our DSLR cameras which was just what I needed.

When I signed up for the course it asked us to come with the battery in our camera fully charged. It took me over 30 minutes, a lot of Googling and several You Tube videos to figure out how to get the batteries out of my camera! When I finally did it, I felt on top of the world.

The course lived up to its hype. I had been intimidated by Taz's camera before, almost afraid to touch anything. Now I can change the aperture and the ISO and I even know what those words mean! And I even know when I should change them and what I should change them to...mostly...kinda.

Not that I didn't end up with pictures like this today


But I also ended up with pictures like this


Mostly it left me with a passion to learn more so now my photography journey is just beginning.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll roam the country looking for interesting people, stories and food. In honor of Mr. T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!