Pacific Grove was founded in 1875 as a Methodist summer camp and by 1879 was a part of the nationwide Chautauqua circuit. By the turn of the century Pacific Grove, like nearby Carmel, because a haven for artists. Many of the Victorian cottages in town date from the turn of the century and sport plaques on the front with the name of the original owner.
The first Feast of Lanterns was held in Pacific Grove in 1905 as the closing ceremony to the Chautauqua Assembly. The current version of the festival was revived in 1957 and the legend of the Blue Willow was added, the PG version was first told in 1958. In the original Chinese version of the legend the star-crossed lovers fly away as doves...in PG they fly away as Monarch butterflies and return every Fall.
Many houses in PG are decorated with Chinese lanterns for the week long festivities. It's nice to see the whole town participating.
|The view is even nicer when the sun is shining|
Her truck fit so nicely into the park atmosphere, it's very colorful.