Tuesday, July 30, 2013

WTF: chocolate croissants

One of the nicest parts of having a husband that grew up in France is that he frequently craves the food of his childhood. A few weeks ago it was Bastille Day and he had a craving for a chocolate croissant (or as Mr. French likes to remind me - petit pain au chocolat) and he couldn't find one at any of our local bakeries. Not one to take no for an answer, he proceeded to figure out how to make them for himself.

I took pictures of the entire process to share with you. They are really easy to make, I figure even I could do it...but why would I want to when I have my own personal French chef? ;-)

just a few ingredients away from warm, melty, chocolate croissants!



Lightly flour your surface, unfold the puff pastry sheet and then cut in 3 pieces by following the fold lines

measure about 7 inches and cut the rest off to use for something else


fold over a little at the top



brush on an egg wash at the bottom. this will be your "glue" later

line up your chocolate chips, keep them in the middle when it's all folded over

fold over and press down just a little on the bottom where the egg wash was brushed. don't press too much or it won't puff up in the oven

preheat the oven to 400

set the timer for 20 minutes

put those babies in the oven
about five minutes before time is up, pull them out and quickly (and lightly) brush the entire croissant with egg wash, then put them back in the over for the final 5 minutes



DING! They're done!

Make sure you let them cool down a bit before devouring or else you'll burn your mouth...then again, maybe it's worth a little pain.

Now Wasn't That Fun?
and yummy too!

5 comments:

  1. Even I could do that! But it would be more fun if you came over and made them for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mail me some. Because I'm not making any! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should mail them to me. I certainly won't be baking them. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this sure looks easy. And really delicious! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!