Wednesday, November 18, 2015

birthday week



I really like celebrating birthdays, I've never understood people who say it's just another day. What's so wrong about having one day a year that's special? Most of life is rather routine so it's nice to break out of the rut and feel special for a day.

Having said that, my last couple of birthdays were rather understated. It's not that I need presents (I like 'em but I don't need 'em) but there's a difference between not getting any because there's nothing you really want and not getting any because you can't afford anything outside of survival necessities. I told myself it was ok and that I didn't need anything but I was still sad and it made an already bad situation feel so much worse.

So this year when I found out my friend Dawn was opening an Etsy shop for her hand beaded necklaces, I took a look, found this awesome necklace and decided to treat myself to a little early birthday present just because I could.

It is even more gorgeous in person and a tangible reminder that bad times don't last forever. I appreciate every step forward...even if it's sometimes followed by two steps back.

Happy birthday to me.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely necklace and I'm glad you treated yourself to it:) I'm trying to make sure I visit all your posts this month so have to go and check how many I've missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful necklace and such a lovely way to treat yourself. My wishes for a very happy birthday! Hope you have a day filled to overflowing with love and joy and that it marks the beginning of a wonderful new year of life.

    I am right there with ya on taking one step forward, then oftentimes 2 steps back. That's how it's been for me as I have moved into this empty nest season of life.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!