Wednesday, May 22, 2019

roommates


I will get back to the story of my weekend adventure tomorrow but I just had to take this moment to record some history - 

The widow has taken a boarder

It reminds me of those Victorian stories where a couple is living a happy, respectable life and then tragedy strikes and the widow falls on hard times and is forced to rent out rooms just to scrape by, her former life being gone forever.

Now I do love the Victorian era but I never thought I'd be living out one of its storylines.

Have I ever told you about my roommate experiences? I lived with quite a few people before I got married.

There was the first roommate who locked herself out of the house one night and tried to wake me up by knocking on the door but I never heard it so she had to get a neighbor to help her get in through a window. We didn't really know each other and this didn't help us get on. She was mad at me for not waking up and I didn't think that was fair so I moved out.

The next roommate situation was with a group of girls I didn't know at all, I answered an ad in the newspaper. They were a little wilder than me...to be fair, pretty much everybody was wilder than me... and I was always coming downstairs to find random guys hanging around, anybody that they'd picked up the night before. Some of those random guys tried to convince me that we should hook up next but no, that wasn't going to happen. I like to at least know a guy's name before I see him naked.

So I moved again, this time to the home of a divorced woman about 15 years older than me who rented me her master bedroom. The room was nice but she was so unused to the idea of having a roommate that I would startle her each time I walked upstairs and she would scream. Let me tell you, it's not fun to be screamed at every single day. Of course, I find I have a lot more understanding of her situation now.

So yet another move to the home of a woman I worked with at the college. Everything was great for a while, we were actually doing things together and becoming friends. Then I walked in on her and our other (male) roommate having sex on the living room couch. That was...interesting. Then followed a few uncomfortable weeks while they were on and off so you never knew what you might be walking in to. She was all messed up emotionally from her divorce the year before and eventually decided to kick both me and her boy toy out and try living alone.

By this time Taz and I were together and he was in an unfortunate roommate situation as well so the idea of us living together seemed perfect.

It wasn't perfect.

Even that took a while for us to settle into a routine and get used to each other. There were certainly times in that first year that I would have moved back in with my parents if they hadn't moved 3000 miles away but eventually things smoothed out and he became the best roommate I've ever had and I never anticipated having another.

But situations change and now E, my new lodger, is here and she's very sweet. I haven't seen that much of her because she's working so much although we're both at home tonight. It's a little awkward but I guess I'd better get used to it.

At least she doesn't scream every time she sees me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!