Thursday, May 16, 2019

the sweater

2018 took more from me than just Taz. It also took my beloved sister, Gari, after a 3 year battle with cancer.

  
She was my best friend but she sure didn't start out that way. She was 20 when I was born and in a few short months she had her very own bundle of joy so I imagine my arrival didn't fill her with happiness. Who wants a baby sister when you're ready to start being an adult? For all of my childhood, I was just another kid added to her family of 4 kids, another responsibility.


Even when I became a teenager, we really didn't have that much to do with each other. If I'm being honest, she kind of intimidated me. I felt awkward and gawky around her.

But something happened when I finally became an adult and we had the Internet as a buffer. We started writing to each other, neither one of us enjoyed talking on the phone, and we learned that we had a lot more in common than we had ever realized.


In addition to the major similarities such as our relationship with our mother, our feelings about new people and new situations and other inner feelings, we discovered that we both adored the beach, dogs, buying jewelry on TV, and Winnie the Pooh! We had a similar sarcastic sense of humor and we loved hanging out together. The four of us (sisters and 2 husbands) had so many fun times, so much laughter.

Because of our shared love of Pooh, I received many of her Pooh collectibles when she passed away last August but last weekend my brother in law (who has been in my life since my birth so he's really my much loved brother) brought me one of Gari's Pooh sweaters and I love it so much. Since it's definitely summer already here in Florida I figured I wouldn't have a chance to wear it for quite a few months but last night there was a chill in the air and I ran to put the sweater on.


It's a big, oversized, comfy sweater and it felt like my sister was giving me a hug. She had become my best friend and I miss her so much every day. Having her sweater is a poor substitute but I'm so happy to have it. I can see wrapping myself in it whenever I need a little comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!