Saturday, June 22, 2019

good things

I finally have some good things to share, I'm so happy about that!

First of all I have good job news. The CEO of my organization was down from Virginia last week and she assured me that they are definitely working on full-time status for me, that they value me as a vital part of the organization and look forward to expanding my role. I'm so relieved and happy about that. It won't start for another month (which is cutting it close financially but I'll manage) so I'll fully enjoy being part-time while it lasts while knowing that some security is around the corner.

In other news - my boarder has left and I have the house to myself again for now. I instantly feel better not wondering when someone will be coming in the door or worrying about waking her up in the morning. More specifically, worrying that Charlie's barking will wake her up. Her final "gift" to me was coming home at 1:30 am on Thursday, making all sorts of noise getting her stuff together, emptying the refrigerator, finishing up some wash and then the hall light (that I always left on for her) went out and I didn't know if she'd left or gone to bed. She was supposed to leave at 3am but she'd gone back and forth about doing that or staying an extra day so I wondered what I would find when I got up at 6. It was a rather sleepless night for me but amazingly, when I finally got up, all her stuff and her car were gone. It might have been polite to have left a goodbye note but she didn't. I don't imagine I'll ever hear from her again. Good bye! Now I can go back to walking around the house naked.


I didn't have much time to enjoy the solitude on Friday because I did another one of those Meetup things and went on a train trip to Sanford, FL which is 50-ish miles north.


In my head I had this vision of going into this historic train station and buying my tickets from a little old man behind a window. I have obviously watched too many movies because, of course, that's not how it works anymore. The train station is closed up, can't get in there, and you buy your ticket from a machine right next to the train track. It was very easy and efficient but I really miss the romance of the old way.

There were about 30 people in the group. I had met one or two of them before, including the woman that organizes all of these events. She's so sweet and patient with all of us.

I met a few new people this time, everybody is so friendly and I didn't feel weird or shy at all this time so that was a blessing. The train ride took a little over an hour. I sat with a man that I had met before boarding and we talked most of the way. We talked about food and travel. He is recently retired and has several trips planned for the next year. He ended up giving me his phone number if I ever wanted to "reach out."

I won't be reaching out but it's flattering to have someone take an interest.

We arrived in Sanford and boarded a trolley into town because it's too far to walk from the train station especially in the beastly Florida summer heat.


Our group had reservations at a German restaurant. I had looked up the menu online the night before and I really wanted the schnitzel but the portions looked huge and it was more than I could afford so I was very excited to see that they had a much less expensive schnitzel sandwich so I got a taste of what I wanted.

I had purposely found a table away from the guy I sat with on the train. I sat with the one person I did know and met a whole bunch of new women. We had such a fun time, so many laughs. It was almost like being out with friends.

After eating way too much at lunch, my tablemates and I walked across the street for some ice cream (because there is always room for ice cream) and then hopped back on the trolley to the train station and home. Most of the rest of the group hung around the town a little longer but I needed to get home for the next part of my day.


Disney Trivia at the local winery!

A couple of years ago a building rose out of nowhere to become a small winery and bistro just down the street from me. They advertised their first ever trivia night and my best friends, the ones I meet for trivia at the Cat Cafe every month, jumped at the chance to show off our (mostly their) massive amounts of Disney knowledge.

It was a lot of fun, all the tables had Disney centered centerpieces made out of wine bottles. I had asked one of my new friends from lunch to join us because she lives close to the winery too and I think she fit into our little group just fine for the one evening. Of course, our original group of 3 is quite perfect as it is. I don't know what I would do without those girls.

Oh yes, we came in 2nd in the trivia contest! It was a lovely evening. I came home smiling and happier than I've been in a long time. I was also pretty exhausted from such a busy day.

I'm happy I finally got to share some good stuff here. Life is such a funny ride and I'm grateful for the good parts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!