Friday, August 30, 2019

day 2


I did a little hurricane prep today, I went shopping for snacks!

But first, I went to Epcot again so Day 2 of Quest for the Coasters is in the bag. Only 2 more days to go!


I was just going to go in and out, I was trying to beat the rain but then I got there and the clouds didn't look nearly as menacing as they had on the drive over so I decided to risk it and try a few more things at the festival.

This year they have a cheese challenge - try 5 different cheese offerings and then get a free cheesecake. I'm a sucker for cheesecake so I tried 2 of the options tonight.


Cottage pie


and black pepper boursin souffle with a really yummy fig topping.

I loved both of these and would order them again even if I wasn't getting free cheesecake.

I also tried another first


This is me trying the infamous Beverly soda from Italy that so many people think is disgusting. Maybe I'm weird (ha, no maybe about it) but I kind of liked it. I mean, I probably wouldn't want to drink a whole bottle of it but I would drink it again. I finished my whole little cup. I don't see why people hate it so much. 

I stayed at the park for about an hour. That's about all I can stand of being by myself. After that I start to look at all the other couples with envy and that's when I know it's time to go home.

Except I didn't go home. I decided it was finally time to do a little hurricane shopping so that I wouldn't be stuck in the house for days with no snacks. I can't even imagine how awful that would be.


The Walmart shelves were seriously stripped bare - no bread or water and barely any chips (oh no!) but I managed to find enough snacks to keep me happy next week. I bought way too much sugar but hell,  food is all I've got in my life so, at least for a few days, I'm going to eat my feelings and indulge myself. I'll go back to being a good girl after this is over and hey, I still have veggies left over from last week so I can make healthy smoothies from time to time to balance it all out. Plus I got guacamole which is made from avocados which is full of the healthy kind of fat so that will make everything better. Right? Heck, I feel healthier just thinking about it!

The latest forecast is actually looking a little better for us in that it's moving a bit east which means it might be more of a coastal event and not affecting us so much. It's also slowing down so while it was first forecast to hit us on Sunday, now it won't really be here till late Tuesday or during the day on Wednesday. So I have no idea when I'll be back at work. Not the vacation I would have chosen but hey, I'll take it. I am SO glad I didn't cut my cable yet. I was planning on disconnecting the cable tv because I can't afford it (even though the thought pretty much kills me because it's been such a comfort to me all these months) but I decided to wait until the middle of September so I could get the whole Internet thing figured out and I'm so glad I did. I can't imagine going through this storm without being able to keep an eye on the forecast or being able watch mindless stuff during all the long hours I'll be stuck in the house.

This whole hurricane thing is quite the experience. People panic and so even though nothing is going to happen for days, not only are stores running out of food, but it's very difficult to find gasoline. I tried to fill up my tank this morning at the gas station near my office and there was nothing available. I still had almost half a tank so it wasn't an emergency but it did cause me some stress throughout the day. Luckily I was able to find gas on the way home from work although I did have to wait in line to get it. So now I'm going to drive as little as possible for the next few days to keep that tank full just in case we lose power in the days following the storm and gas would be unavailable. 

I cried on the way home from work today, I have a feeling it'll be a daily occurrence during this event so I'm just going to go with it. It's not like anybody is going to be around to see me at my worst, just Charlie and she's used to it by now.

I promise, tomorrow I'm actually going to do some yard work to get the outside ready for the storm. Really, I will. I'm almost sure I will. Probably.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!