Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Day 5 or 6, I can't remember anymore


See that face up there? It's not pretty. There are no filters. That's how I looked right after I GOT THE CAR IN THE GARAGE!!


Yes, I got the door open, moved a bunch of stuff, tried to get the car squeezed in, moved some more stuff and then drove that baby right in there! First time we've had a car in the garage in 19 years. I am awesome.

With the door open I also moved in all the dead branches (there were quite a few) and the 2 empty garbage cans so that they wouldn't blow around in the wind.

While moving stuff around I ran across one of the shoes Taz used to use when mowing the lawn. That hurt. I don't know where the other one is; I didn't go looking for it. 


I moved all the outside stuff either inside or stacked close to the sliding glass door. Even the pool toys now have a home inside my tub.

Right before a hurricane the humidity goes through the roof so moving all this stuff around was hot work and I ended up changing my clothes 3 times yesterday. Part of the time I just moved things while wearing my swimsuit so that I could get in the pool to cool off.

And after all that work, that hurricane is soooooooooo slow. And thinking of what the people of the Bahamas have gone through is painful. The devastation is horrible and my heart hurts for them. 

Because it's taking so long and the forecast keeps changing from day to day, I ended up with a couple of days off work when the weather really wasn't too bad. So when one of my friends texted last night and asked if I wanted to join her family (my kids!) at Disney and we could go check out the new Star Wars land, I jumped at the chance.

I almost didn't make it though because just getting the car out of the garage was an adventure this morning. I tried to open the garage door from the outside but it was locked. So I went inside the garage and squeezed down the passenger side of the car but couldn't open the door from that side. The locking mechanism is in the middle of the garage but I couldn't get around the back of the car. Couldn't get around the front either because I had the car wedged in just the right amount of space. I really didn't want to have to call and say I couldn't go play because I was stuck in the garage. I ended up going in through the passenger door of the front seat (there's a kid seat in the back) and maneuvering across the front seat so that I could get out of the driver's side door. It has been a LONG time since I've needed to do any contortions in the front (or back) seat of a car so it probably wasn't too pretty but it got the job done. I was finally able to get the garage door open and back my car out. Of course, none of this would have happened if we'd gotten an automatic door opener installed the way I always wanted to...just sayin'.



It was an awesome morning, the weather was perfect and the crowds were pretty light. This is a new area of the park that just opened up last week and usually the wait times are horrendous but with the park closing early because of the weather and all the tourists staying away, we figured this might be our best chance and we were right.

We left before they could kick us out and said our goodbyes. They were going off to stay at a Disney hotel for the storm. I am now back at home with Charlie waiting to see what happens. The wind is picking up now but they're saying we probably won't get the biggest part of the wind and rain until after midnight. I'm hoping I can sleep through it but I probably won't. At least tomorrow is another day off so I can catch up on my sleep then.

Thanks for reading all this, I wanted to document it because the memories will fade as the years go by. This has been a long week of waiting and it's dredged up some emotions. I'm really looking forward to things settling back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!