Wednesday, January 29, 2020

VD


It's almost that time of year again - Valentine's Day. 

Yuck

I used to dread it as a teen, I never seemed to have a boyfriend on that day. I'd have one before, I'd have one after but I was always painfully single on VD, as I took to calling it. I even wrote a whole paper for English class once about how much I hated that day. I got an A. Didn't matter, still hated the day.

Then Taz and I started dating and got engaged on our first VD. Suddenly I didn't hate that day anymore.


Taz proposed all over again in 2011 on the 25th anniversary of our Valentine's Day 1986 proposal.


From then on I thought Valentine's Day was wonderful. Taz was not a romantic man (don't even get me started) most of the time but he felt really strongly about VD. Even when I said I didn't care that much about it, he always made sure we went out to dinner and he always, always, always got me a card. He was awesome at cards, he wrote the sweetest things. Ok, so maybe he was a little romantic.

But there will be no more cards from him, will there? And that stupid day is rolling around again soon. Last year I tried to forget about the day and pretend it didn't exist but my lovely friends broke into my house while I was working and left presents including a beautiful dress which fit perfectly because they'd used trickery to find out my size. By the way, I'm a size smaller this year just in case anyone is reading this. ;-)

This year I'm going to be proactive and have something scheduled to do. Here are my options:

1. Activities taking place that night in a downtown nearby include carriage rides, taking pictures (selfies for me) at a mural wall and listening to live music while visiting the shops and buying myself a small present at my very favorite shop.

2. A Chocolate Crawl in that same downtown. For one price you can visit several local shops/restaurants and receive a sweet treat.

3. Food Truck Friday - a regular event at another local downtown but with the addition of live music. This would be the least Valentiney thing to do since I go to it just about every month.

4. The Sad Widows Club annual VD dinner. That's not the actual name of the club, it's just what I've dubbed it. I've never attended but someone that I sing in chorus with is a member and she handed me a piece of paper on Monday with her name and phone number and all the info about the dinner. Apparently they have met for dinner at a local restaurant on VD for almost a decade now. This would be my least favorite choice because it feels pathetic to me but I'll do it if there's nothing else to do. I get the feeling that all the other members are much older than I am.

This year VD is on a Friday which is traditional date night anyway so it's definitely not a night I want to sit home watching gamer videos.

One cute thing about VD happened last night, though. I was wearing a shirt from last year that says "My dog is my Valentine" (see, I have a sense of humor about it) and my eldest god daughter read that and said "at least this year Charlie won't be your only Valentine because we'll make some cards for you."

My heart just melted, that was so sweet.

I'd still rather have someone (other than Charlie) to kiss though. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!