Saturday, March 9, 2019

it's a sign

So today was the day to drive 40 miles to visit my mother. I got there and she was asleep, of course. She was dressed but she didn’t wake up for almost 30 minutes and when she did, it was clear she wasn’t feeling up to going anywhere. We talked for about 45 minutes and then she sent me home saying she wanted to go back to bed.

You don’t have to ask me twice!

I thought about just heading home but there was nothing to rush home for. It’s not like Mr. T was there and we could do something fun with our unexpected time. And Charlie wasn’t expecting me so I decided to get some lunch. At first I thought I would go to the diner but then I suddenly remembered the Vietnamese restaurant at the shopping center. We had always been intrigued by it - how weird to have a Vietnamese restaurant in that town! - but it was just down the block from BDs Mongolian BBQ and Mr. T LOVED that place. He had a whole routine of piling up the beef as high as possible. When they grilled it they usually had to use 2 plates. He was disappointed once when they got it all on 1. The best part was that he could eat whatever he wanted and take 2 boxes home which usually gave him lunch for a whole week. He just loved that place - the taste and the value.

 Because he loved it so much, we never even thought of going anywhere else when we were in town so we never tried Saigon Bistro. So today was my day to check it out.

  Mr. T and I went to quite a few Vietnamese restaurants over the years and, of course, he cooked all the time so I know what he liked and thought was authentic and I have my favorites as well. I was thrilled to see my very favorite Banh Xeo on the menu. It’s also known as Vietnamese Crepe (or Pancake) and it’s filled with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts. I first had it in Virginia and Mr. T's brother made it for me at his restaurant near Paris. The places we went in California, Noodle Bar and Lucky Noodle House, didn’t have it so Mr. T would make it for me. It’s a tricky recipe and he did it well but it took a lot of effort and some of the results were better than others. So we were both thrilled when we found it on the menu at the restaurant in Orlando. It was so good there that we both decided he didn’t need to keep making it if I could get my “fix” there. The restaurant near my office has it as well but, for some reason, they don’t put pork in it and it’s much better with the pork.

 They do a fabulous job on it at Saigon Bistro. It’s almost as good as Pho 88 and definitely an easier place to drive to so I’d pick this one anytime. I loved every bite, it made me so happy to eat there.

 I was so sad when it was over.


I also tried the Chia Gio. Now Mr. T made a MUCH tastier and more authentic version which was the highlight of any family gathering. A couple of times he made them the night before we drove to Alabama just so that my sister could enjoy them. So there’s really no comparison but I’ve learned to judge restaurant versions based on their own merits. This one had the wrong wrapper (wonton rather than rice paper) but all restaurant versions are that way now. This filling was the closest to Mr. Ts that I’ve ever tasted so I really loved them. I would totally order them again. I don’t think Mr. T would have liked them because he couldn’t get past not using rice paper but I have different standards.

I’m so glad I went. I felt close to Mr. T and I had missed those flavors. Oh, the nuoc mam! I have always dissed restaurant nuoc mam because it never tasted as good as Mr. T’s. His had so much flavor and pow and garlic. This nuoc mam was pretty darn close, a lot of flavor, not watered down or too sweet. Definitely a home run.

What’s interesting is that last night I was crying and I asked Mr. T to send me a sign that he was ok. Today the idea of this restaurant just popped into my head out of the blue. I don’t usually get to leave my mother so early nor do I stick around down there, I’m usually out of there like a bat out of hell. Today I had plenty of time, it wasn’t too hot to walk around the shopping center and I thought of a restaurant that hadn’t crossed my mind in years. And it was delicious and it made me happy. If that isn’t a sign I don’t know what one is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!