Sunday, March 17, 2019

wedding


Last night I went to a wedding.

I had been looking forward to this wedding for over a year. It was the wedding of Mr. T's favorite coworker and the daughter of the founder of the company, who was Mr. T's business partner.

Mr. T was looking forward to this wedding too. He was planning on taking his camera and taking lots of pictures, hoping that he could capture just the right one to give to the couple as a wedding present. It was the main reason we got his cameras out of storage in California when we went for a visit last September.

So it became very important for me to be there, to represent Mr. T and show our combined support for the couple.

But it was  hard for me to go. I wasn't going to know anybody else at the wedding and that's hard for a shy, introverted person. Plus the location was 90 miles away so it was a long drive to a place I've never been before. I thought about not going quite a few times.

I did everything I could to provide support for myself. I bought a new dress and shoes, I got a pedicure and I had a hair appointment to get my hair blown out straight. I probably spent more money than I should have on all that but it did make me feel stronger.

After a 2 hour drive through lots of traffic, I finally arrived at the location. It was a big, beautiful house right on the water. Pretty much a gorgeous mansion. At first I thought it was a place they had rented but I eventually realized it was the groom's family home - who knew?

 The ceremony was set in the back yard, right on the water with big boats docked right in front of us. Stunning!

 It wasn't easy to walk into the ceremony setting, not knowing anyone. I kind of hoped maybe a couple of Mr. T's other coworkers might be there. Even if I'd only met them once it would be a little easier but there was nobody. I quickly found a seat, sat quietly and waited for everything to begin.


The ceremony was beautiful. The bride and groom wrote their own vows which were touching and tender and quite funny. It perfectly captured their personalities. I got quite choked up and couldn't help thinking that Mr. T should have been there. I'll never understand why he wasn't allowed to be there.


After the ceremony was over I got a chance to hug the bride and groom. They both seemed pleased that I was there. I told the bride that I had watched a LOT of Say Yes To The Dress over the past few months (a reality show that probably saved my life in December because it was the only thing I could concentrate on and it filled up the empty hours) and her dress was still the prettiest one I'd seen. I meant it too, it was a beautiful dress and looked perfect on her.

I had been getting pretty hungry during the ceremony so I had high hopes for food when I walked out into the cocktail hour but there was no food. Yikes! Then I looked around and realized I didn't know anybody there. What was I going to do? How could I stand around by myself and not even have food to eat.


So I did the only thing I could do, I walked to the driveway and had the valet get my car so that I could make a getaway. I had done what I'd come to do. I had watched these two special people get married, I had honored Mr. T's spirit and I had hugged them. Time for this princess to leave the ball.

I held myself together while I got out of town and over the long bridge and then, once I was on the familiar highway, I started to cry. I had really enjoyed the wedding, I'm so happy that I went but I was feeling so lonely and all alone and missing Mr. T.

I cried about half of the 90 miles and then I really had to stop and pay attention to my driving since it was now dark and raining.

And then the hunger really took over so I got off at an exit about 16 miles from home so that I could get some french fries at the McDonald's drive-thru. There are times when only comfort food will do.


I managed not to inhale the entire pouch of french fries while still on the road. I drove into my driveway and saw a cute little face looking out the front window. I wonder how long Charlie had been standing there, waiting for me to get home. It's always nice to come home to her sweet little face so she was rewarded with the last of my french fries.

Like I said, I'm so glad I went to the wedding and I did have a good time but I was really happy to be back home.

I wish the bride and the groom all the happiness in the world and I know Mr. T, wherever he is, does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair on the porch, have some lemonade and leave your comment in my mailbox. Thanks for visiting my little cottage!